Successful Cyber Sales, Social Proof, and Slow Deliveries
After record-breaking digital sales during Cyber 5, shoppers show they're able to adjust to a socially-distanced holiday shopping season. With ecommerce growing amid the pandemic, making the right digital marketing choices is of utmost importance. Adlucent stays on top of the latest ecommerce trends and digital marketing best practices to share and implement with our partners. If you want to get the latest industry news, sign up for our email newsletter.
Winners and Losers of Black Friday 2020 – MarketingDive
Online sales and in-store and curbside pickup have spiked during the holiday shopping season. Discounts began earlier and were more spread out; the uptick in sales started in October with the delayed Prime Day. Ecommerce continued to surge, making Black Friday this year's #2 online sales event. Instead of big doorbusters, Black Friday became more of a cyber event this year, blending it seamlessly into the Cyber 5.
In addition to large retailers, the winners of Black Friday were:
- Ecommerce: Digital Sales hit records, and Black Friday online sales generated $9 billion - more than a 21% increase YoY.
- Curbside: This shopping option became a major force and was up over 50% from last year. Retailers offering curbside pickup increased digital sales.
The losers of Black Friday were store traffic, crowds, and (with strains on shipping and some supply chains) last-minute delivery purchases.
Adlucent took a look at our clients' key Cyber 5 performance results.
- We saw steady YoY growth, but a surge in online shopping may be the reason behind a shift in consumer trends and the breakdown of the days' success.
- Black Friday outperformed Cyber Monday overall
- Click volume was up YoY, and especially on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving
- AOV was up a bit, but overall was fairly steady compared to previous years
- Click conversion decreased slightly from last year's Cyber 5
- Revenue was up significantly, along with ROAS. This was due to capturing increased consumer demand and more efficient CPCs.
Overall, retail saw a pretty strong holiday shopping season this year. We saw a remarkable overall growth in ecommerce of 32% year over year, as opposed to the normal 14%. We expect to see continued success for retail in online shopping and digital marketing.
Since shoppers are more likely to try new products during the holiday season, customer acquisition is essential. One way to drive this is for brands to focus on a driver of purchasing decisions. Social Proof is defined as people looking at others to help guide or validate decisions. In retail, this happens when potential shoppers use consumer feedback to vouch for the product,
More than half of consumers trust online opinions, and peer recommendations (Testimonials/Reviews) are most trusted. Other types of Social Proof include:
- Industry Experts
- Influencer Partnerships
- User-Generated Content (UGC)
- Brand Love Engagement
Specific examples of building brand trust through social proof are:
- Influencer Partnerships and Branded Content (often referred to as paid partnerships) in which the brands leverage the confidence and loyalty that influencers (content creators) have established with their audiences.
- Shoppable UGC where brands can leverage their customer feedback and place it in a shoppable format.
- Finally, brands can promote posts with positive consumer feedback and Boost Consumer Engagement by acquiring and promoting customer feedback on social media.
UPS Temporarily Stops Collecting Orders from 6 Retailers After Exceeding Delivery Capacity – Apple News
Online shopping has surged, and delivery services are being maxed-out after the record digital sales of Cyber Monday and Black Friday.
After packages exceeded delivery capacity, UPS instructed its drivers to stop collecting orders from six large retailers: The Gap, Macy's, Nike, and more. Also, UPS has asked retailers to spread out promotions to help with demand. Although there has been a temporary pause in collecting orders, UPS has assured that packages will be delivered, albeit possibly late.
These articles covered some of the most important industry news as shifts from COVID and other causes continue to change business nationwide. Visit the Adlucent website for ongoing information and updates on marketing, ecommerce, and retail.